A key need is to help people identify cultural thinking and traditional practices that drive the desire for many children.
Whilst some myths are perpetuated to suit cultural practices, many are through lack of knowledge. Some can be harmless, but sadly when it comes to issues around sex and pregnancy the simplest myth can lead to unwanted pregnancies, poor maternal health, and even maternal death. Such things include:
- Panadol prevents pregnancy
- Pregnant women shouldn’t eat chicken or eggs
- Having sex before marriage can help your back
- Antenatal check ups cause miscarriages
- Immunisation kills the eggs of young girls